I have already left my abuser

Many women continue to experience abuse and harassment from their former partner long after they have left. It doesn’t matter how long ago you left your abuser, you can call the LifeLine Stop Gender-Based Violence Line in confidence,  0800 150 150. We won’t tell you what to do, but we can support you to understand your options and make a plan.

If you feel afraid, below are some tips for increasing your safety and the safety of your children. This page is a starting point. It is important to access specialist support as well. 

Explore getting a protection order

A protection order can stop an abusive person harassing you. In terms of the Domestic Violence Act, 1998, if you feel that you're a victim of any act of domestic violence, you can approach your local Magistrate Court and request assistance in bringing an application for a protection order. If your abuser breaches, or breaks the conditions of the protective order, they will be charged with the crime of contempt of court. This applies even if the breach is not an actual crime, such as controlling behaviour. If the breach itself involves a crime, such as assault, then the abuser can be charged with both contempt of court and assault. Read more about getting a protection order by clicking the button below.

Tell Someone

Is there a friend, neighbour, work colleague or family member you trust? Let them know you might be at risk from your partner. Arrange a secret code with someone who lives close by (like ringing and hanging up, or a blank text), that lets them know you need help. You could also think about telling a professional you trust for example your doctor or a nurse at the local clinic.

Get Specialist help

Find a local shelter or charity in your area that can provide ongoing support, without your partner finding out. Many have ‘drop ins’, where you can access support without having made an appointment. If you are searching online, remember that your partner might be tracking your search history – try and use a computer they do not have access to (e.g. at work, or in a public library, or a trusted friend’s phone or computer). Find out more about safer browsing here, and keeping your devices safe from your partner here.

Contact the Police

Be ready to call 10111 if you or your children are in danger. You can also call LifeLine Stop Gender-Based Violence Line – 0800 150 150 in a non-emergency situation to report previous incidents or get advice from a counsellor.